Need a good cookie recipe for Christmas eve or Christmas day? Whatever holiday you’re celebrating, you can’t go wrong with these festive holiday cookies. I’ve been baking batches of these for my co-workers and friends. Enjoy with a cup of hot cocoa, tea, or coffee!
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1.5 cups of sugar
1 large egg
1 cup butter, softened / at room temperature
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
crushed candy canes, about a handful
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
3. In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. A hand mixer might come in handy here.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat together with the butter and sugar.
5. Carefully mix in the dry ingredients until the mixture turns into a smooth dough.
6. Put teaspoonfuls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets (use parchment paper for best results) and bake for 8-10 minutes in the oven.
7. After 8-10 minutes, cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring them to a wire rack or sheets of aluminum foil.
8. Crush the candy canes by putting them in a small zip-loc bag and running a rolling pin over them.
9. Melt the chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl in the microwave, until smooth. This usually doesn’t take longer than 2 minutes.
10. Once the cookies are COMPLETELY cool, spread a teaspoon of molten chocolate over the cookies and sprinkle crushed candy canes over them.
No time to make dough from scratch? Simply buy store-bought ready-to-bake dough, add the chocolate-peppermint topping and you’ll get the same results! Happy holidays!